Saturday, June 30, 2007

Al Maghrib class Part I

Since I've been busy with summer class, I've been procrastinating to write about the journey and the weekend classes that we (Kak Ena, Azni, and the brothers) attended at Memphis.

The Rules of Engagement : Islamic Rules of Ethics.
15-17 June & 22-24 June
Memphis, TN
by Shaykh Muhammad IbnFaqih



Well, let's see, where should I start ?

My first ever alMaghrib class, and I enjoyed it very much, thank you.

Headed out from Vanderbilt around 4pm, and reached there around 740-ish pm at the Holiday Inn Hotel. The Qabeelat Mubeen usually made the Friday class free for the local community to attend, since the registration fee was $160+ for a 2 week course. Fortunately we met Mohsinah during the break, because she is, after all, our hostess-to-be. We sat quite back, so we couldn't really see Shaykh and his voice wasn't clear because of some audio problems. He lectured about the Etiquette for Seekers of Knowledge.

Etiquette for Seekers of Knowledge.
  1. 1. purify the intention - niat
  2. 2. patience - what makes the difference : desperate or passionate
  3. 3. putting knowledge into action
  4. 4. be aware that Alllah is 'watching' : Fear of Allah - improve quality of work
  5. 5. best use of time
  6. 6. clarify & verify
  7. 7. precision of focus
  8. 8. studying on your own or in congression
  9. 9. choosing companionship
  10. 10. good manners with the Shaykh.

We were given notebooks which were already filled with key points (which was very good indeed, easy to refer back ).

" A man who seeks virtues is like angels; where as a man who seeks vices resembles Satan. Man has two sides to his nature; he has the capacity for sin and also for righteousness with God"
- Ibn Hazm


Well, there's more to it than the key points that I typed out.

Now, back to Mohsinah. She drove us all the way from the hotel to her house which was actually 20 minutes away. Her mother actually cooked a late dinner for us, which we were very grateful indeed, there was always seconds :) It was pasta that night. We were a given a bedroom, where the three of us gladly slept. The bedroom was actually Mohsinah's and her little sister, Aishah's. There were many prize and plaques on her shelves and study desk. She was once the best speaker for the Youths-United-Nation-something. I was quite astonished actually, she was so humble since the first time I met her, never once boasted about her achievements, and by entering Vanderbilt with a scholarship, well I guess she must be one of the top few. I guess, these small things, taking pride on what we achieved, accomplished, are better off not to be told, publicly, the act of boasting etc etc. I wished I could have that trait, I really do. Hurm, have to practice from now on. ;)

My first time entering an American house; it was very homely and cosy, with some Islamic decorations too (khat especially). The hospitality that we received, well I guess, the best one I've ever received. Breakfast, lunch, croissants and dinner were the most memorable during the stay. I think everyone would agree to that. (right ?) Mohminah, Mohsinah's sister, would always be there during the breakfast and dinner, Aishah unfortunately was attending a 6-week summer program at University of Memphis. Her dad, well, we didn't had the chance to speak to him.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay, the lectures were also great, full of knowledge; filling the empty places.



footnotes : There is actually a difference when you attend the program, or by just hearing the cd. I just realised that ;)
I've been hearing 'Attitude' by Shaykh IbnFaqih, that's why.

0 had said their words: