Monday, February 26, 2007

Because of a Question

"Isn't it burden for a Muslim women to wear the head scarf for not letting men think of them as sex objects? I think it's unfair for them to do that. I mean the men themself should behave and concentrate on the conversation or activity that they themself are participating."

"A burden? I don't think it's a burden."

"I'm sorry. The responsibility."


It started with just a smile at the hallway of the Stevenson building or as I was walking out of the library heading towards Branscomb. It started with a smile, continued with some exchange greetings, and some nod aknowledgment.

That was the turning point for me to think of Islam, from another perspective. I was asked with questions, and I had to find answers. I thought that I knew Islam well and could explain it in detail, with confidence to the questionier.

But I was wrong. I wasn't prepared. I should have been. I couldn't explain it well enough. I thought I was fluent in english. I was wrong, I couldn't find the proper words to explain them. Writing is okay, but saying? Talking? Cakap spontan? Dalam bahasa Melayu boleh lah. Ni english. Ish.Having an english conversation. I lacked those. I really do lack having english conversations. You may think its weird for a student who's studying overseas not speaking english well. But, it's just that.. it's hard to explain.

So how would I do daawah if I can't even speak english well? Stating the truth, holding up my beliefs.

It's time I change.

Getting away from the comfort zone towards the reality.

0 had said their words: